Over usage and stretching of joints may cause pain and swelling. Joints of ankles, knees, wrists, shoulders and elbows usually suffers injuries causing pain, inflammation and swelling making movement of joints harder and painful. It also restrict the movement of the affected area.
Few common causes of joint injuries:
- Falling down
- Abrupt push or jerk
- Excessive sports
- Wrong postures during exercise and yoga
- Lifting heavy weights
- Accident and many others
Frequent joint injuries include:
- “Runners Knee”, an injury in the knee
- “Plica Syndrome of the Knee”, another injury in the joint of knee
- “Rotator cuff injury”joint sprain in the shoulder muscle
- “Sprained Ankle”, an injury of the ankle joint
Symptoms of Joint Injuries:
- Pain in joints
- Restricted range of motion
First aid management
For the first aid management of joint injuries,RICE is a latest program. It is also referred to as a recovery formula. Using this formula effectively and immediately can protect someone from severe harm. Its full form is Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation.
- Resting says that causality must take rest. One should not move again and again. He must be protected from further stress and complications. Otherwise affected area will be red and swelled.
- Apply ice on the affected area. It will reduce swelling and control bleeding. Apply it for few minutes with little gaps.
- Compress the affected area by wrapping or tapping it. Compression reduces inflammation and also try to initially compress extremities i.e. legs and arms.
- It is suggested to elevate injured area a little above from the heart level. Elevating the injured area lessens up the flow of blood as heart pumps uphill. It will help in reducing swelling and loss of blood.
- Call emergency helpline for immediate and proper help. Always try to seek treatment from trained professionals in order to refrain from worst consequence.